Thursday, March 11, 2021

Favorite films of 2020

Usually I don’t compile my best films of the year list till halfway into the next year, but 2020 was a year when everything was unusual, so this time around I’m in advance of the Oscar nominations (I’ll add another post after they're announced). 
 
Definitely a year when boundaries were blurred:  film and video, movies and theater, fiction and documentary.  I already listed my best tv series and documentaries of the year, so here I throw in everything else.  So was Steve McQueen’s “Small Axe” a tv series or five separate movies?  Why was David Byrne’s American Utopia considered a film, while Hamilton was apparently considered filmed theater?  But then Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom and One Night in Miami were filmed plays as well.  And so on.  So I put all these variants into two categories, “Must-sees” and “Worth seeing,” in rough order of my enthusiasm, and will update the list as tardy candidates emerge.  (For comparison or futher exploration, see Metacritic's ranking of the best films of the year.)
 
Must-sees
Small Axe: Lovers Rock/Mangrove/ Education/Red White & Blue/Alex Wheatle
Nomadland
Hamilton
Never Rarely Sometimes Always
First Cow
The Trial of the Chicago 7
One Night in Miami
Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
Sorry We Missed You
The Truth
Babyteeth
Wolfwalkers
 
Worth seeing
I’m Thinking of Ending Things
David Byrne’s American Utopia
Mank
Ammonite
Sound of Metal
Promising Young Woman
Beanpole
Saint Frances
Palm Springs
The Assistant
Ordinary Love
South Mountain
Emma
40-Year-Old Version
What the Constitution Means to Me
The Easy Girl
 

No comments: