Wednesday, January 06, 2021

Stevie watches too much TV

But so much of it is so good!  And here I review a few new shows, and then compile my list of the best television series of 2020 in comparison to the Metacritic compilation of TV critic top ten lists.
 
Recently released and coming in at #10 on that tally is How To with John Wilson (MC-83, HBO), a pick I heartily endorse.  If you’re a fan of quirky observational comedy, you will love this.  If you love New York, you will love this.  If you can appreciate wandering personal essays laced with a running visual counterpoint that doubles the humor, then you will love this.  John Wilson, at least as self-portrayed, is an Aspergerish obsessive, who uses his camera as shield from and outreach to the world, recording endless hours of street documentary, then compiling snippets of visual puns and commentary to accompany off-beat how-to themes that exfoliate into weird and wonderful blossoms of narrative.  I’m pretty sure you’ve never seen anything quite like this, and therefore I recommend starting with the outstanding Episode 2: “How to put up scaffolding.”  If you like that, go through the others in order, and expect a real kicker in Episode 6: “How to cook the perfect risotto.”  

(Nathan Fielder’s producing credit here led me to his own Comedy Central series from 2013-17, Nathan for You (MC-??, Hulu), in which he inveigles small businesses to take his marketing advice, and then films the fallout.  Start with Sn1:Ep2 to establish the premise, then watch one of the 32 episodes anytime you want a laugh and have 22 minutes to spare.)
 
Not on the Metacritic list, but definitely on mine is The A Word (MC-76, AMZ), which just completed a third season on Sundance TV.  I recently wrote about the first season here, but now that I’ve seen the third and probably final season, I want to make my praise more fulsome, because I really love this show.  Most of what I comment on here, you could easily have heard of elsewhere, but this show I bet is a find, and I want to tell you that it is well worth your time to discover it.  I won’t repeat my initial description, but get straight to the matter I left out before, the actors’ names.  First off, I have to clarify that Max Vento – the boy who plays Joe at 5, 7, and 10-years old – is not himself autistic, but definitely convinced me that he was.  Most of the cast were totally unknown to me, and probably to you unless you’re a dedicated subscriber to BritBox or AcornTV (though first two seasons of A Word are on Amazon Prime).  That contributed to the authenticity of the entire production for me, the unquestioned identity of character and performer.  The mother and father were played by Morven Christie and Lee Ingleby; I’ll probably wind up seeing them as detectives in some British mystery, but they’ll always remain Joe’s parents to me.  His grandfather was the only familiar face, Christopher Eccleston, but my main image of him was as Jude the Obscure in Michael Winterbottom’s 1996 Hardy adaptation, so this was quite a leap.  I won’t enumerate the subsidiary characters, but each is charming and/or humorous, but also authentic.  In each season, there are remarkable performances in the roles of psychologists and teachers, as well as by those who are themselves differently-abled.  The writing is sharp, funny, and true to life, and the production makes evocative use of the Lake District landscape with its Fells.  The characters are ever-changing, losing and winning our sympathy, but consistently convincing.  I’d gladly watch more, but they certainly managed a perfect series finale, if it comes to that.
 
For comparison’s sake, in the list below I include both the ranking in the aforementioned Metacritic compilation of critics best of the year lists, and also note the rating in Metacritic’s own (more reliable IMHO) ranking.  But here the best of 2020 is listed in order of the enthusiasm of my own endorsement.  And I break out documentaries into a list without reference to whether they’re considered films or tv programs.  (My reviews and links can be found by title through search box above, or by scrolling through my earlier Stevie/TV posts.)

Top Tube of 2020
 
My Ten Favorite TV Series of the Year:

Better Call Saul (#2, MC92)
The Crown (#11, MC85)
The A Word (MC85)
My Brilliant Friend (MC92)
Better Things (#15, MC90)
Pen15 (#17, MC93)
Normal People (#4, MC82)
Mrs. America (#6, MC87)
The Plot Against America (MC82)
The Queen’s Gambit (#3, MC79)
 
Five runners-up:

The Good Lord Bird (#14, MC84)
Ramy (MC83)
Unorthodox (MC85)
Sex Education (MC83)
Feel Good (MC83)
 
Some dissents, excluding genre categories in which I have no interest (e.g. sci-fi and horror):

I May Destroy You (#1, MC86) was the runaway winner in the critics’ poll, and is certainly the most “of the moment” show of the year, combining #MeToo and Black Lives Matter themes, but the show did not hit me where I live, seemed generationally remote.  (Similarly, I could not get past the second episode of I Hate Suzie (MC85) – sometimes I ask myself, “What hath Fleabag wrought?”  How many more sex- and substance- and self-abusing women in their thirties do we need to see?)
 
Bojack Horseman (#12, MC91) has gotten sterling reviews that led me to watch some episodes at random, but never compelled my attention.
 
Given its general acclaim, I tried to give Schitt’s Creek (#8, MC95) another chance, but all over again was immediately turned off by the style of acting, and could not persist to discover whatever kernel of quality others see in the series. 
 
In the interest of completeness, I watched one episode and a fraction of a second before deciding that The Great (#18, MC74) was not so great for me.  I don’t mind some contemporizing of historical pageant (such as Marie Antoinette), but this series with Elle Fanning as Catherine the Great took liberties and license too far for me to stick with it.
 
I’ll give Ted Lasso (#5, MC71) and P-Valley (#23, MC85) a chance the next time I make a trial of their respective streaming channels.
 
Documentaries
 
Three of the top four documentaries count as tv series, and City Hall at 4½ hours could easily have been a series too.  The others are feature length and the numerical ranking (*) is from Metacritic’s list of best films.  I include them as a group but find myself generally in accord with the MC rating.
 
City So Real (#24, MC93)
City Hall (#12*, MC88)
The Last Dance (#13, MC90)
How To with John Wilson (#10, MC83)
 
Time (#5*, MC91)
Dick Johnson is Dead (#11*, MC89)
Rewind (#17*, MC87)
Crip Camp (#23*, MC86)
Athlete A (#24*, MC85)
Boys State (MC84)
Totally Under Control (#56*, MC80)
The Painter and the Thief (#76*, MC79)
All In: The Fight for Democracy (MC78)

However much TV you watch, you ought to find some satisfying viewing among these offerings.
 

 

No comments: