Saturday, March 24, 2007

Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man

Oh my god, I’m a convert to the Church of Leonard. This proselytizing tribute/concert film won me over, modest Canadian production that it is, but worthy celebration of the cult troubador -- he's my man now. I wasn’t a fan beforehand -- I did consider his songs to be an essential element of the greatness of McCabe & Mrs. Miller, but mainly knew his work through covers by the likes of Judy Collins (there, I’ve revealed way too much about myself.) The film incorporates tantalizingly little of his own singing, but his songs are well rendered in a “Came So Far for Beauty” concert at the Sydney Opera House, by a variety of McGarrigles and Wainwrights and Thompsons et al. The performances are intercut with interviews with Cohen himself and a gaggle of admirers, two of whom are Edge and Bono (pontificating with point, as usual), with the climax coming when U2 backs Leonard singing “Tower of Song.” First-time director Lian Lunson is no great shakes, but her film and subject both reflect an appealing blend of sincerity and artifice, which applies to the musical performances as well. Now I am willing to accept this singer-songwriter as poet-prophet, the elusive and allusive lover as Zen monk, the gravel-in-the-gutter voice as truth-telling visionary, one of the unacknowledged legislators of the race. A few weeks back I commented on a great year for musical documentaries, and while it may not be the best, this one moved me most of all. (2006, dvd, n.) *8+* (MC-68.)

No comments: