Saturday, March 24, 2007

Borat

I’m nearly speechless, not so much breathless from laughter or shock, as simply past the wave of this cultural phenomenon. Sacha Baron Cohen is obviously a very smart man who has a lot on his mind, but he does go in for a lot of mindless laughs and Jackass behavior. The film certainly is funny, and more satiric than just offensive for the hell of it. Some of the “Oh no, he didn’t!” moments had been spoiled for me by prior description. But I have to say that the extras on the DVD, deleted scenes and in-character promotional appearances, are every bit as funny as the film itself. The character of faux Khazak reporter Borat is the thing, and the situations he gets into. It’s more peripatetic performance art than a film per se. So I can’t go overboard with my rating. (2006, dvd, n.) *7* (MC-89.)

No comments: