Monday, February 21, 2005

Oscar horserace

I’ve been polled by the Berkshire Eagle for my top Oscar choices, and this is how I replied:

Officially -- I deplore the horserace, winner-take-all mentality that has overrun our culture, this continuous oddsmaking is a symptom of moral rot, and the Oscar race is a prime example. But since you ask -- of the nominated films, The Aviator is my clear choice for “Best Picture,” though Vera Drake was certainly the best new film I saw, with Maria Full of Grace close behind. “Best Actor” really is a horserace, with five thoroughbreds in the running, wire to wire excitement, but by a nostril in a photo finish I see Jamie Foxx as Ray edging Leonardo DiCaprio as Howard Hughes. “Best Actress” also offers a pleasing choice, but being in the better film barely carries Imelda Staunton over Hilary Swank (who’s won once already and will surely get more chances.) (The mare over the filly, if I may beat a dead horse.) You didn’t ask for “Best Director” but there the choice is clearcut -- it’s Marty’s turn, Scorsese in a walk, though Mike Leigh also has a lengthy career worth honoring.

No comments: