Thursday, January 27, 2005

Waking Life

A dream of a movie about dreaming, this was the penultimate puzzle piece to complete my upcoming summer film series at the Clark, “A Dozen Directors Under 50: Discovering Distinctive Visions in Film for the Decades Ahead.” Within 5 minutes of reviewing, I had confirmed this artfully animated film as my Richard Linklater choice, favorite of my favorites. (I’d been thinking about doing a Before Sunrise/Before Sunset double feature, but this is the neater fit. And this offbeat choice made it easy to pick the documentary 4 Little Girls over a variety of other, more obvious Spike Lee Joints. So my all-star lineup is complete.) Here the dreamy animation from live-action digital video is painterly in kaleidoscopic ways; all the half-crackpot theories espoused by Austin TX savants are intriguing and funny; the dream within a dream structure flows and doubles back in true “oneironaut” fashion. Smart, gorgeous, a compendium of Linklater themes and characters -- what’s not to like? (2001, dvd, r.) *8+* (MC-82, RT-79.)

No comments: