Monday, May 27, 2024

Consumer advisory

Since cable-cutting many years ago, I have lived almost exclusively in a streaming universe, and this blog has reflected that.  I was also an early adopter of the practice of rotating streaming channel subscriptions, to make sure the total monthly outlay was a mere fraction of what cable tv costs.  With sports fanaticism confined to my birthplace teams, the Guardians and Cavaliers of Cleveland, my fervor was simply fed by MLB and NBA passes, so I did not pine for broadcast tv at all.
 
Come the playoffs this month, and hopes high for my Cavaliers, streaming was sometimes preempted by network games, which meant going out to watch at a bar with a friend, or avoiding all news until the game could be streamed on delay.  Serendipitously, I happened upon an offer for YouTube TV, a 21-day free trial followed by three months at $15 off the usual $73. 
 
The Cavs expired before the free trial did, so I had no reason to continue, but I have to say that I was very impressed with the service, and would recommend it to any cable tv subscriber who is concerned about losing their familiar setup, with all the usual channels and DVR function.  YouTube TV replicates the cable experience with a very smooth interface and a much simpler remote.  The service was superfluous to me personally, but for anyone who is still hesitant to cut the cord, you’re likely to find it a very reassuring transition, with access to sports, news, and other live programming, and still a significant savings over the usual cost of cable tv.
 
While I’m at it, let me also flag YouTube itself as a streaming channel that can fill in a lot of regular tv viewing.  I use it to watch favorite regular programs like Stephen Colbert or Seth Meyers monologues, SNL skits, PBS Newshour segments, and the like.  So I never miss the typical channel-surfing experience.  To me it makes much more sense to pick and choose one’s viewing carefully than to drown in a flood of indiscriminately bundled content.
 
I’m not usually one to plug a megacorporation, but credit where its due, I thank Google for the free trial, and decidedly recommend YouTube TV, if you’re into that sort of thing. 

No comments: