Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A week’s wrap-up

I’ve seen a lot of films in the past week, but I’m not up to offering succinct summations and assigned ratings, so I’ll make do with a series of rambling observations.

I was amazed to discover I had never seen Cyrano de Bergerac (1990) before showing it in the Clark auditorium as the penultimate film in my “Age of Claude” series about painting and performance in the 17th century. I assumed my memory was merely vague and nonspecific, but somehow I’d missed this film despite all its accolades (5 Oscar noms & 1 win, 11 Cesars, Cannes grand prize) and despite the fact I had it in my Video Archive at Either/Or (I confirmed by checking online with the Milne Library in Williamstown, where the collection now resides.) (Since I’m rambling anyway, I will digress to remind you that the Milne Library also gets the DVDs of all the films I show at the Clark, available to anyone with a Western Mass library card.) Anyway, this Cyrano was so good, I moved two other versions to the top of my Netflix queue and will review all three together soon. This lavish French production starring Gerard Depardieu and directed by Jean-Paul Rappeneau will be hard to beat.

So that made two weeks in a row for my first time ever showing a film I’d never seen, and it worked out fine. I put this series together rather casually, so I’ve been surprised myself by its excellence, in detail and in sum -- as well as in audience response. If you’re in the area, I can offer a definite recommendation for the final film in the series this Friday at 4:00, another Gerard Depardieu film, this time playing a court composer to Louis XIV in All the Mornings of the World (Tout les Matins du Monde.)

Otherwise my watching has been an unaccountable mishmash, which I will organize into arbitrary double features. First off, my impromptu Rico Tubbs duo: I never watched the 80s tv show Miami Vice, so it took me a while to figure out who that familiar face was in Sparkle (1976), and it took the final credits for me to sort out his three first names, Phillip Michael Thomas. I did recognize Irene Cara as the title character, but I wonder why I didn’t recognize Lonette McKee as her older sister -- she had so much screen presence and yet I don’t remember her from anything else. Anyway this DVD release piggybacked on the theatrical release of Dreamgirls (which I missed but await on DVD), and some reviews cited it as a better film about a Supremes-like girl group in the early Sixties. Though this film certainly had moments of exuberance in the early going, it limply followed a template already old thirty years ago. I actually enjoyed it a bit, but it is definitely not something I would recommend.

In Michael Mann’s self-appropriation of Miami Vice for the big screen (2006), Tubbs is played by Jamie Foxx, Colin Farrell is Crockett, and Gong Li (!) is the drug queen. All four are more than capable of holding the screen on their own, so this thriller is continuously watchable though intermittently intelligible. Rather than sun-kissed, this is a dark, tangled vision of a Carribean crossroads between heaven and hell -- fast, frantic, obsessive, visually striking but not particularly rewarding. I actually admired it a bit, but it is definitely not something I would recommend. (MC-65, me: *6*)

Now another ad hoc duo: very, very French films about amorous conflicts, notable for the ambition of the director and the astounding magnetism of the female lead. Isabelle Huppert has been as ubiquitous as Gerard Deperdieu in French film of the last three decades, and is equally capable of ringing changes on her persona. In Gabrielle (2005) she might just have recycled Madame Bovary in another tale of erotic misery, this from a story by Joseph Conrad, adapted by Patrice Chereau, but she plumbs new depths of despair as an upper class trophy wife who leaves her husband but then chickens out and returns within hours, but not before he has read the note she left behind, so devastating to his complacent self-regard (well embodied by Pascal Greggory.) Chereau’s direction is typically unblinking in its view of emotional desolation, though a little over-ingenious with switches between black & white and color, title cards, jump cuts, and other violations of cinematic convention. The two performances carry the day, however, grim as the proceedings may be. (MC-79, me: *7-*)

Large claims are made for Maurice Pialat’s A Nos Amours (To Our Loves) (1984), just released on DVD with full Criterion Collection treatment, but for me it was made remarkable just by the star-is-born debut of a 15-year-old Sandrine Bonnaire, as the confusedly promiscuous teenage daughter in a disintegrating family. Even if unaware of the subsequent career that would take her from Vagabond to Joan the Maid and many other notable films, you can feel the camera fall in love with her immediately, the subdued watchfulness broken too rarely by the radiant smile. That doesn’t mean you can really understand the actions of her character, or the rest of her dreadful family. The absconding father is played by Pialat himself, and the American correlative would be the films of John Cassavetes, to whom I never responded particularly and haven’t watched lately, despite his having become a touchstone for so many critics and young filmmakers. So this film is painfully intimate, ragged and supposedly real. I don’t know about that, but I do know that Sandrine is always a woman to watch.

Next up are two documentaries from 2006 that I TiVo’d from IFC and PBS respectively, but which are also available on DVD. Kirby Dick’s This Film Is Not Yet Rated effectively demystifies the MPAA film rating system, but its efforts to be entertaining come across as cute and puerile, so I appreciate the service it provides but discern special interest pleading in its Metacritic score of 75. Contrariwise, a collective score of 79 doesn’t do full justice to Stanley Nelson’s Jonestown: the Life and Death of the Peoples Temple, which interweaves a wealth of material into a powerful summation of an 1978 event that for someone of my generation and inclination was one of the horrific peaks of historical and emotional devastation on the continuum from the JFK assasination to 9/11. This perversion of hope into tragedy, as a vibrant and idealistic community committed suicide at the behest of a deranged leader, more than 900 people drinking cyanide-laced Kool Aid in the isolated jungle of Guyana, is something that made my life sadder but wiser, and this film makes it present again in a judicious but lacerating manner.

While on the subject of documentaries, let me reiterate my strong recommendation that you catch up with Planet Earth on the Discovery Channel or on DVD -- it really represents the state of the art when it comes to nature cinematography, and it doesn’t dilute the wonder of evolutionary diversity with excessive anthropomorphism. This week I will be watching the ballyhooed PBS series, America at the Crossroads, and will report back to you..

No comments: