Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Must Love Dogs

Now I know this is a piece of cheese, but it went down smoothly for me, so it must be cream cheese. I mean, how bad could it be with Diane Lane and John Cusack, two of the most appealing actors working today? And there is fine supporting work from Christopher Plummer, Stockard Channing, Dermot Mulroney and Elizabeth Perkins. Sure it’s a sitcommy confection from writer-director Gary David Goldberg, but there were some funny lines and the actors were amusing company for a brisk hour and a half. Two lovelorn thirtysomethings meet through an internet dating service, experience frustrations, but wind up with each other. This is an unpretentious trifle that delivers on its modest aspirations, so it’s odd for me to give it the same rating as Scorsese’s altogether more impassioned production, but to me they’re each films that are worth seeing, as long as you know what you are getting in for, but I am neither supportive or dismissive of either. (2005, HBO/T, n.) *6* (MC-46.)

No comments: