Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The Wire: Season Two

Just let me note as explanation for the week’s gap that I have been watching the 12 episodes of the second season of what just might be the best tv series ever. At some point I will write about it in greater detail, but for now I will simply reiterate my unqualified recommendation. If you have the time and inclination to immerse yourself in a long and rich visual novel about contemporary American life and the way we do business (comparing favorably with both The Sopranos and The Godfather Saga), then you must get The Wire on dvd and watch it straight through from chapter one of season one. The second season folds the Baltimore docks, longshoremen, and international smugglers into its institutional study of the drug trade, along with another highly believable cast of characters, all flawed and yet somehow engaging, predictable and yet not -- in a word, real.

No comments: