Friday, January 10, 2020

A confession


When I made my list of the best TV of 2019, I cheated and included season three of Better Things (MC-96, Hulu), even though I’d only seen a few minutes of it.  I found the commercial-interrupted streaming on FX intolerable, so I had to wait impatiently for the third season to finally join the first two on Hulu.  I’d timidly rated it #2 on my list of half-hour comedies, but now I will boldly move it into #1 (Brits had a separate list, but I’d put Better Things in a tie with Fleabag for the very best comedy). 

(This show by itself warrants a trial subscription to Hulu – commercial-free option essential – but if you go beyond their featured network programming, there’s a lot of good stuff hidden in the margins, among foreign and indie films, and documentaries especially, which I’ll be covering in my next post.)

I also confess that I am a little in love with Pamela Adlon, squat and squawky-voiced as she may be, but so original and authentic, brash and out-there, in this heavily autobiographical series, as the fiftyish single working mom of three teen or tween girls.  In the third season, she writes and directs as well as stars, brilliantly on all counts, leaving behind the taint of association with Louis C.K.  The girls are great too, as is the whole ensemble of LA creative types.

There are gags galore, salty language and toilet humor, with plenty of embarrassing situations, but in the context of unflinching observations of real life – work and family and friends – from a pointedly female perspective.  As an implicit feminist without portfolio, Adlon’s defining characteristic is forthrightness.  She’s going to open her mouth, and only occasionally put her foot in it.

From a different generation and the opposite coast (though Adlon was born in Albany), I miss many of the show’s cultural signifiers, and am unfamiliar with most of the music, but they seem exceptionally well-chosen.  If you can handle the brazen situations and potty-mouthed dialogue, I strongly recommend this show.  Better Things may not be one of the more memorable titles, but the series remains one of the best things on TV.


No comments: