Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Final word on 2015

Here I do my traditional sort of the best-reviewed films of the year, running them down in roughly my order of preference, with some clustering by type or subject.   In parenthesis, I offer comparison to the consensus calculated by the top Metacritic scores of 2015 (note how this differs from the critical polls I cite in individual reviews).  As you can see, my viewing is extensive but selective.  I don’t expect to survey so many of the “Top 100” in future years, as I return to programming film series for the Clark, and turn more retrospective in my reviews here, concentrating on career summaries of selected directors and performers.  Use search box at top left of page to find my reviews of these films, along with links to Metacritic overview and Netflix availability.

EXHORTATIONS (I urge you to see these):

Spotlight (#4)
Carol (#1)
45 Hours (#2)
Anomalisa (#7)
Inside Out (#3)
Jafar Panahi’s Taxi (#9)
The Big Short (#55)
Room (#24)

RECOMMENDATIONS (I advise you to see these):

Brooklyn (#19)
Clouds of Sils Maria (#83)
Second Mother (#41)
Ex Machina (#87)
The End of the Tour (#42)
Love & Mercy (#65)
Mississippi Grind (#92)
Grandma (#100)
Results
Diary of a Teenage Girl (#20)
Girlhood (#26)
Something Anything
Tangerine (#25)
Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem (#10)
La Sapienza
Human Capital
Timbuktu (#6)
Phoenix (#16)
Blind (#36)
James White (#37)
Mustang (#49)
Breathe (#86)
Coming Home (#50)
Theeb (#66)
Eden (#47)
’71 (#32)
Creed (#44)
Bridge of Spies (#51)
Black Mass
Testament of Youth
Ricki & the Flash
I’ll See You in My Dreams
While We’re Young
Z for Zachariah
Pawn Sacrifice

APPRECIATIONS (you might find something to like in here):

Steve Jobs (#45)
Sicario (#54)
The Martian (#62)
Experimenter (#48)
About Elly
White God (#70)
Chi-Raq
Jimmy’s Hall
Duke of Burgundy (#22)
The Gift (#90)
Queen of Earth (#84)
Beloved Sisters
Suffragette
Far from the Madding Crowd
Cinderella
Paddington (#91)
Trumbo
Learning to Drive
Trainwreck
Mistress America
Heaven Knows What
Welcome to Me
I Smile Back
Gangs of Wasseypur (#14)
Arabian Nights (#40)

EQUIVOCATIONS (you’re on your own with these):

The Forbidden Room (#35)
Mad Max: Fury Road (#15)
The Assassin (#71)
Son of Saul (#12)
It Follows (#38)
Hard to Be a God (#11)
Horse Money (#28)

No comments: